Whether you want to refresh your skin’s appearance or have concerns such as acne scarring, microneedling is a minimally invasive procedure that can help. Microneedling is used on the face to minimize scars, wrinkles, and large pores while tightening or rejuvenating loose or aging skin. It’s an excellent treatment option for those who want beautiful and radiant skin without a more invasive surgical procedure.
At Union City Oral Surgery Group, we understand the profound effect that the image we see in the mirror has on us every day, and we are proud to help our patients find joy in their appearance again. Union City Oral Surgery Group uses The SkinPen™, which is the only FDA-approved device for microneedling therapy and provides our patients with unmatched patient care. We are here to help our patients get the best of the best and reach their cosmetic goals.
What is Microneedling?
Microneedling is a procedure where very thin needles are used to prick the skin to cause micro-wounds. These micro-wounds are rebuilt by new dermal tissues and blood vessels which are rich in collagen and elastin proteins. These proteins work to plump, smooth, and brighten the skin giving your skin a more youthful quality.
Results are additive, and depending on your goals, a series of three to six treatments may be necessary. While some results may be almost immediate, the cells of your skin continue to turn over for up to six months.
3 Types of Microneedling Procedures
As a person ages, the skin begins to break down collagen and elastin, leading to thinner skin that wrinkles and shows signs of aging. Microneedling is a minimally invasive treatment that helps reduce those signs of aging. There are three types of microneedling procedures:
- Microneedling with PRP or Exosomes: Microneedling creates hundreds to thousands of “micro” channels in your skin. This gives us a great opportunity to apply topical agents to supercharge your treatment.
- Microneedling with Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP): Your blood contains red cells, white cells, and platelets. The platelets contain hundreds of proteins called growth factors which are important for healing. In PRP, the plasma is applied to your skin during the microneedling treatment – basically, your own hyper-concentrated growth factors are injected back into your skin!
- Microneedling + Exosomes: Does the thought of drawing blood for PRP makes you queasy? Exosomes are a lab-derived alternative. Exosomes are produced from stem cells and work to turn on your own cells’ growth factors leading to increased tissue repair and improvement in skin cells.
Whether you choose microneedling alone or with PRP/Exosomes, the goal is the same: stimulating your own cells to turn back the clock.
Who Is a Candidate for Microneedling?
For people looking to boost the look of their skin or address some skin concerns, microneedling may be the perfect treatment. It is highly effective for all skin tones and types and requires no downtime. Great candidates for microneedling include:
- People with enlarged pores: Enlarged pores can make the skin appear dull, uneven, and tired. Microneedling helps the pores to become significantly smaller and less visible.
- People with excessive redness or uneven skin tones: Microneedling helps even out skin tones and gives the patient a beautiful complexion. It can also smooth away any uneven rough textures on the skin’s surface, creating a smoother appearance.
- People with wrinkles or fine lines: Microneedling can help fade away mild to moderate fine lines and wrinkles. In some cases, the treatment can erase them from the surface of the skin entirely. People with deeper wrinkles and fine lines will likely need multiple treatment sessions to achieve the desired results.
- People in need of a collagen boost: Microneedling promotes the skin to naturally create more collagen, which helps the skin look younger for longer.
- People with sun damage or acne scarring: Microneedling helps acne scarring fade away and evens out any damage caused to the skin as a result of sun exposure. The treatment helps the skin look more even and vibrant.
Almost everyone can benefit from microneedling treatment because it’s designed to work for many different types of skin and issues. However, it’s particularly effective against conditions that affect the surface of the skin. To learn more about how microneedling can help you, consult a professional.
8 Things to Know About Microneedling Before Trying It
When you’ve tried all the creams and serums in the world to try to effectively treat fine lines, hyperpigmentation, or acne scars and nothing works, it may be time to try microneedling. However, unlike the previous at-home attempts, there are a few factors to consider before deciding whether microneedling is the best choice for you, including:
- Schedule a consultation with a professional to determine whether you’re a good candidate
- Understand the difference between microneedling and dermarolling
- The procedure is not exactly painless, but the discomfort doesn’t linger
- It’s beneficial for treating acne scars and wrinkles
- Most patients notice an immediate improvement to their skin
- It’s important to keep your skin hydrated after the treatment
- It’ll be recommended that you avoid excessive activity, such as going to the gym, for at least 24 hours
- Whether or not your insurance will cover the treatment
When it comes to cosmetic procedures it’s important to work with a professional that can help you make informed decisions and achieve your cosmetic goals.
Schedule Your Microneedling Appointment Today at Union City Oral Surgery Group
The providers at Union City Oral Surgery Group are highly trained and experienced professionals that have treated a variety of skin-based health issues, including sun damage, acne scars, fine lines, and wrinkles. Whether you want to look younger or address a skin condition, you deserve the best of the best, and Union City Oral Surgery Group is here to deliver. We provide our patients with outstanding personal care using the most recent procedures to help them reach their cosmetic goals.