Many individuals begin to see the first signs of their wisdom teeth appearing in their late teens or early twenties. While many people can accommodate these new molars without issue, others may experience discomfort or pain. These symptoms can become exacerbated when the wisdom teeth are trapped under the gumline or grow at an angle. This common dental issue is known as impaction and requires surgical intervention.
If you suspect your pain and discomfort are due to impacted wisdom teeth, do not hesitate to schedule an appointment with an experienced oral surgeon. At Union City Oral Surgery Group, our highly qualified oral surgeons and specialists are dedicated to prioritizing your comfort and care as we address your unique concerns. We proudly serve patients across New Jersey while providing the highest level of care.
5 Signs Your Wisdom Teeth May Be Impacted
Impacted wisdom teeth are not only painful and uncomfortable but can have a significant negative impact on your overall oral health. Some warning signs to be aware of include the following:
- Irritated Gums: If you are experiencing gum irritation or discomfort near your wisdom teeth, they may be impacted. The gums near the wisdom teeth are more prone to infection and must be treated promptly to avoid gum disease.
- Jaw Pain: When an impacted wisdom tooth is trapped inside the jawbone, you may experience intense pain. Wisdom teeth are more prone to decay, and cavities in the surrounding teeth could spread to the impacted wisdom tooth, causing severe pain.
- Swelling: Depending on where in the mouth your teeth are impacted, you may experience swelling in the jaw or gums. If you are experiencing swelling, it may be a sign of an infection that requires immediate treatment.
- Halitosis: Halitosis, or bad breath, may indicate that one or more of your impacted wisdom teeth are infected. This is typically due to food particles becoming trapped near the impacted tooth.
- Damaged Teeth: If you notice that your teeth have become recently crowded or cracked, it may be due to impacted wisdom teeth. When teeth grow horizontally or at an angle, the surrounding teeth are often affected.
If you are experiencing any of the symptoms above, you do not need to live with the pain and discomfort. A skilled oral surgeon can address your concerns and create a treatment plan that suits your needs.
Types of Impacted Wisdom Teeth
There are several different types of impaction that can cause various symptoms. The following are the most common types of impaction that occur with wisdom teeth:
- Mesial Impaction: The crown of the wisdom tooth grows angled toward the front of the mouth.
- Distal Impaction: The crown of the wisdom tooth grows angled toward the back of the mouth.
- Vertical Impaction: The wisdom tooth grows in the correct position but is trapped below the gumline.
- Horizontal Impaction: The wisdom tooth is trapped under the gumline and grows in horizontally.
Depending on the type of impaction you are experiencing, you may feel symptoms in your gum line or jaw. When the crown of the tooth is exposed, you may be more likely to experience irritation in your gums, while impacted teeth below the gumline are more likely to cause jaw pain.
Schedule an Appointment with a Talented Oral Surgeon Today
If you are experiencing harmful symptoms due to impacted wisdom teeth, an experienced oral surgeon can help alleviate your pain and protect your oral health. At Union City Oral Surgery Group, we offer innovative and cutting-edge treatment techniques that promote quicker healing and recovery times so you can get back to the pain-free life you deserve. To learn more about how we can help you, schedule an appointment today by calling (201) 601-9262 or completing our contact form today.