Oral surgery can be used to treat many jaw related issues and is performed by an oral surgeon like Dr. Herbst. Surgery that is performed on the jaw can ultimately help a wide variety of dental issues and also can help improve your appearance.
Corrective Jaw Surgery
Corrective jaw surgery is performed on patients who need dental abnormalities improved; this could include skeletal issues or even misalignment of the teeth and jaw. After surgery the patient will notice a quick improvement of breathing, speaking, and even chewing.
The most common jaw surgeries include the following issues:
- TMJ or TMD is caused when the joint that located in front of the ear causes a patient to suffer with headaches as well as pain in the face. Surgery is a last resort for this problem since many patients can get relief by taking medication, using splints, or going to therapy.
- People who are getting dentures can have surgery performed that will make sure that their new dentures will fit perfectly. Also, after a patient wears dentures for an extended amount of time it can cause the bones to deteriorate. A surgeon can add a bone graph that will stop this process from getting any worse.
- If a patient has a problems with their jaws not growing equally, surgery can help. Without surgery there may be issues with being able to eat or swallow as well as breathing and speaking clearly. Sometimes these issues can be addressed by wearing braces, but with severe cases surgery will be required.
Some other conditions that may need jaw surgery can include the following:
- Extreme wear and tear on the teeth
- Difficulty swallowing
- Difficulty chewing
- Open bite
- Birth defects
- Breathing through the mouth
- Sleep apnea
Jaw surgery can dramatically change your life. Dr. Herbst will be able to tell if you will be a good candidate for jaw surgery to correct any dental issues you currently have. Contact our Union City, NJ office to find out more.