Correct jaw alignment makes a significant impact on someone’s health. Some people are born with a misaligned jaw, while others may have developed a misaligned jaw after an accident. Luckily, a great oral surgeon can help you regain your confidence and your health with corrective jaw surgery.
12 Signs You May Need Corrective Jaw Surgery
A realignment surgery can restore a person’s confidence. Most importantly, it allows individuals to regain their chewing capability. Some signs that determine whether an individual needs corrective jaw surgery include:
- People who have difficulty in chewing or biting their food
- People who could not swallow their food properly
- Chronic pain felt within the jaw area, sometimes accompanied by an extreme headache
- Breathing problems, excessive snoring when sleeping
- Those who experience a fast wearing of the teeth
- Chronic mouth breathing, resulting in dry mouth
- There is a space located between the lower and the upper teeth when trying to close the mouth
- Difficulty in making the lips meet
- People who have protruding jaw and a receding chin
- Major facial trauma and congenital disabilities
- Those who have an unbalanced facial appearance
People who have these symptoms must work with oral and maxillofacial surgeons to determine how they can fix the jaw.
Is Corrective Jaw Surgery Dangerous?
Correcting any bones in your body sounds risky, but because of technological developments in the medical field, corrective jaw surgery has never been safer. New technology helps surgeons figure out how to proceed throughout the operation with amazing precision. With more accurate results and less pain experienced by clients, more oral surgeons are licensed to perform this type of medical care.
Although most patients do report a moderate amount of pain after this procedure, the results far outweigh any negatives. Recovery lasts about 12 weeks. After getting corrective jaw surgery, doctors usually stabilize the jaw with wires. Patients are able to talk, although it can be difficult. A doctor will take off the wires after two weeks, and after that, individuals can start to enjoy the benefits of corrective jaw surgery.
Find a Great Oral Surgeon in New Jersey
There are oral and maxillofacial surgeons who have passed the board located in leading clinics and hospitals all over the United States. If you live in New Jersey and have a misaligned jaw, you can visit the Union City Oral Surgery Group. Our experienced team will be more than happy to assist you with having your jaw corrected. Let us take care of you, so you can start a better, healthier, future! Contact our office at (210) 601-9262 to schedule your appointment today.